Tuesday 25 June 2013

Controlled Combat for the Adventurous Actor -or- How To (Safely) Get Your Ass Kicked On Stage

I might be dating a psychopath.  A sweaty, sweaty psychopath.
Over on Jetpack Wonder Stories (lookit that fancy button right at the top o' the sidebar!) today, Ephraim is talking about his experience taking a stage combat class! The post features photos I took of him looking cool, and because he's nice and level headed like that, he also published some of the not-so-cool ones (minus one that makes him look like a gremlin which makes me laugh every time I look at it.  I kept that one for myself, even he doesn't have a copy!).  

If you've ever wanted to know more about those fights that happen on stage or in the movies, or thought they'd be super fun to be a part of, head on over to Jetpack Wonder Stories tohear what it felt like to look like you're kicking the crap out of someone, while keeping things totally safe.  Spoiler, it means a lot of grunting, and sweating, and acting that makes for some very bizarre still images.  

Totally makes me wish I had been this serious about it when I did my stage combat course in high school!  I got to "kick" my friend in the face, repeatedly.  Also we learned how to "slam" someone's head into a wall or a desk.  It was awesome, and really hard work to get everything just right, but being 16, we used our powers only for evil (and to freak people out in the hallways).  Drama kids.  What a bunch of weirdos.

--Erin

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Waaay beyond the fencing classes I used to take when I was a theater brat, that looks hardcore!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)