Friday 5 October 2012

Ottawa P.3: Afternoon Tea at the Château Laurier

One of my favourite things ever, is afternoon tea.  Since I was quite young, my Bubbie and Zaidy (that's grandma and grandpa in Yiddish.  You learned today!) have been taking me for afternoon tea for my birthday.  It's always been a fun treat, and a nice way to spend a couple hours with my grandparents, my mum, and my brother, talking and eating (in roughly equal amounts).  

Though it wasn't either of our birthdays, my Mum and I decided to have afternoon tea at the Château Laurier while we were in town.  This year was the 100th anniversary of the hotel's construction, so what a perfect time to enjoy a short visit!

By this time in our trip, I was pretty sick and my Mum had begun to catch my cold, so the opportunity to drink copious amounts of tea was welcomed.  The spread at the Château Laurier did not disappoint, and I was thrilled when I tweeted about being there for afternoon tea, and the Château tweeted me back! Now that's service.  So cool.
jam and clotted cream, meet arteries. Yum!
My beautiful Mum and her tea tray
Plain and dried currant scones
They made me special vegetarian sandwiches! One had a sundried tomato and olive spread, it was so tangy and spicy and just GOOD!
Neither of us had any room left for the tart, but they sure were cute.

Some good old Earl Grey and treats were enjoyed that day.  Looking back at these photos makes me want a hot cuppa right now!

Do any of you have little family traditions you do for special occasions? This one is surely the most delicious I have ever been a part of, and it's something I look forward to being able to treat my children and grandchildren to some day.  If they're not rotten little things, anyway, hahah!!

--Erin

8 comments:

  1. Lovely! I have always wanted to go to Prince of Whales for Afternoon Tea, nothing would be more pretty! You look so much like your Mom, she's beautiful! And so chic with that hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the Prince of Wales yet (it's a little...erm...expensive for my taste, haha!), but I know a couple Shaw ladies who have and they LOVED it. I'm saving the Prince for a special occasion, whatever that may be. Splurge and get the champagne afternoon tea :D!
      And I will be sure to pass the compliment along, it will make her day! She totally rocks the short hair, and has since the 80's. Before her time, before her time.

      --Erin

      PS. I hadn't checked <3 Elycia since before she posted this morning, so I headed over and I squealed too! Explains the bananas traffic I have had today (ALSO WELCOME NEWCOMERS READING THIS!!)

      Delete
    2. Champagne afternoon tea!?! Sounds like a dream!

      Delete
  2. PS-I "Eeeeeeped!" when I saw your pretty face over on Love Elycia today ;) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! The sandwiches look delicious!

    - Sasha
    www.lacewinged.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a nice outting, I highly recommend it! There isn't enough food that you can't talk nearly constantly, and you get to eat a bunch of little treats. It's basically the best!!
      Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!
      --Erin

      Delete
  4. These are great photos and now I'm totally hungry for some treats :) What a fun tradition- I've never been for a formal afternoon tea. Your mom is so pretty and you two look so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is the best excuse to dress up and eat delicious things, with absolutely no other purpose; I mean hell, it isn't even really a meal! I highly recommend it!
      As I get older, I really see the resemblance between my mum and I. It's a good thing, she's a good lookin' lady. You just can't pull off hair like that without a good face!

      --Erin

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)