Tuesday 30 October 2012

Quebec P5: Painted Pumpkin Patch

Just around the corner from our hotel, there was this super cute little pumpkin patch.  There were 3 witches associated with it; one at the bar, one on the bottle, and another in a little square across the street.  I'm not sure why they appear to be brewing pumpkin ale in wine bottles, this may be some kind of tradition?? I just thought the painted pumpkins were so cute, and the flowers and corn stalks made for some nice pictures.  
I just loved seeing everything so decorated for autumn, I think that's one of the things I enjoyed most about the trip.  Here in town, the fall marks the end of the theatre season and most of the shops close early or aren't open on weekdays altogether, so businesses don't tend to decorate much for this time of year.  It's too bad, since the changing leaves on the Niagara Parkway are so pretty!! You'd think main street would be so charming.  Damn. 


I'm kind of bummed that Halloween is already tomorrow, I wish the weeks before would just last forever! It's my favourite time of year.  And I'm not ready for the world to shift into Christmas mode yet!!!

--Erin

10 comments:

  1. I'm totally not ready for Christmas yet either, I need to get my skates on and start making presents before I run out of time! Love these painted pumpkins, they are so cute! I wish we got more into Halloween over here, all the shops are decked out but only a couple of people in our street have anything up xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved the gift giving aspect of the holidays, but having grown up in a jewish home, the idea of decorating for the holidays was never really present. Which is sad. Christmas is so beautiful, and channukah... well we light some candles I guess. I would love to decorate my house this year in some fashion... I figure most christmas decorations should be universal so long as the christ theme is downplayed so as not to offend my family haha!!

      I think this was actually the city hall that was decorated like this. To be honest, the sign was in french, and neither of us bothered to look up a translation. Most of the houses in the town where I live ignore halloween, which is too bad because they're gorgeous historical homes and I would LOVE to see them all spookified. Like, a cute little cottage dressed up to look like the gingerbread house from hansel and gretel, complete with gingerbread trim.

      Some day I will go all out for all holidays is basically what I'm sayin'.

      --Erin

      Delete
  2. I love those spotted pumpkins!!!!
    Looks like a great time. :)
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they so sweet?? I'm still partial to the standard jack-o-lantern, but these arw too cute. The white spots on a coloured background are my favourite. So cheery!

      --Erin

      Delete
  3. Augh, for the thousandth time, I wish we did Halloween in Australia! You get a handful of kids trick or treating in $2 store masks and then maybe the supermarket puts up "spooky" decorations. I know it's not our tradition... But it looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing dress up plays such a large role in my life (both for myself and delegating!), particularly so far as costumes are concerned, I can't imagine halloween not really being a thing!! I love celebrating everything spooky and scary.
      Halloween isn't celebrated in Japan either, and I ended up teaching a bunch of exchange students how to carve a pumpkin. It was weird having to explain gutting it, and having them say "but that's disgusting. Why do you make these?" and kind of just having to agree with them. "But it's fun" didn't seem worth it. They came around when they were elbow deep in pumpkin guts.

      --Erin

      Delete
  4. Such festive Halloween decorations! I love the dotted pumpkins. And those spiders are giving me the creeps! Eeeek! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate spiders!!
      Even big plastic ones. They were so HAIRY. Gross, hahaha!

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures, reminds me to finally decorate my pumpkins even if Halloween is over already.

    http://poutingpenguin.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's still autumn! I figure till people go into full fledged christmas decorations, gourds are go.

      --Erin

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)