Monday 15 October 2012

The Old Quarry

While on my solo walk over the long weekend, I made a point to stop by this gravel pit some 25 minutes walk from Ephraim's parents' place.  Ephraim refers to it as the quarry, but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  I sure as shit would never ever want to go swimming there, even if I was a rebellious 50's teen.  Sketchy, man!
Regardless, the site was the set for many of Ephraim's science fiction films produced over summers when he was a kid, and I could really see why! There's tons of old abandoned equipment, heaps of sand and rock, a hole who knows how deep full of water, most everything you need for a small scale dystopia.  Heaven for children, and judging by the long irregular footprints down the side of one sandy dune, time hasn't changed that.  Nor is that silly little gate keeping anyone out.  Try harder, gate, or get a proper welcome mat.  Come on!
I loved the way the rusty equipment looked against the autumn colours, the beauty in the death of each of these things.  I have always adored the way corroding metal looks, likewise peeling paint and wallpaper, generally derelict places.  Haunting, peaceful, loaded with stories. 
You know, I kind of want to make a science fiction film there myself now! But perhaps in a smaller scale... taking place within some of this decaying equipment perhaps? Now there's an idea.
--Erin

6 comments:

  1. The second photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so so pretty in north ontario!! The juxtaposition of the beautiful leaves and the abandoned equipment was so interesting to me.

      --Erin

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!! I love the natural and the rustic industrial vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how despite having very different origins, as they decay, the metals and the leaves all turn the same colours. Oh, the world. Such a crazy cool place!

      --Erin

      Delete
  3. popped by from BBN - love these pictures. My husband walked by and said "that is gorgeous", so there you go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Gillian! And thank for that by proxy compliment!

      --Erin

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)