Wednesday 24 October 2012

Quebec City P2: Paillard Patisserrie

I know that the photos I have posted thus far indicate otherwise, but I promise that my trip to Quebec wasn't ONLY filled with hot caffeinated beverages and sweets! In fact, I saved those macarons till I got home.  And I even shared some.  Brownie points (can those be exchanged for real brownies??).  Wow, I am seriously sugar obsessing right now. MOVING ON!
Paillard is a bakery and cafe that was located just a few doors down the street from our hotel, in the old city.  The place is gorgeous, but also incredibly casual.  There's a small number of individual tables (many of which were occupied by travelers FaceTimeing their mothers) and the majority of seating is at long galley style wooden tables.  The place basically encourages you to chit chat with your neighbour, or read the paper, but generally take it easy.  Coffee and tea are of course offered, but so are a selection of beers (on tap!), soft drinks, and juices of all kinds.  If sweet things aren't your thing, they serve up sandwiches (I just mistyped that sandWISHES.  I'm hungry), and soups.  I wish we had gone in earlier, instead of the last day there while we waited for our cab! No bother, I'll be sure to head over for an afternoon tea and nibble next time I visit :). Oh, and the macarons were totally as good as they look.  A just barely crispy shell, and then nothing but moist cookie and filling.  Yum.
I'm off to Toronto today to visit my Alma mater, York University.  I'm participating in a panel of recent graduates asked to talk to the first year Theatre students and answer their questions about our time at York, and our lives after graduation.  I still find it totally weird that I'm being used as an example of "success" after graduation.  Dudes, I live in a tiny ass town and I can't afford a car.  Although to be fair, success in theatre tends to mean you're still over the poverty line.  Alright, it could be worse, I'll quit my bellyaching.  I love my job, and I hope I can motivate some little 18 year old to haul ass and make something of themselves.  Kids these days...

--Erin


4 comments:

  1. Ooo so jealous of all your coffee and macarons! Sounds like the perfect vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I did not have any of the coffee (I'm a tea drinker), but my boyfriend assured me it was really quite good! Mostly I was just glad to be warm in this cafe. It was very rainy that day as well as windy. Ick.

      --Erin

      Delete
  2. Looks like a really nice cafe :) I've also been craving sweets . . . maybe it's the season?

    Pretty cool that you've been asked back to talk to the kiddos. I have to say, theatre or not, just -having- a job after graduating, and especially one having to do with your degree, is a major success these days it seems. Go you! [and now I'm going to go and fill out another job application ;)]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your spirits up!! I can't imagine having to find a job in a new country! Especially in my business, where it's all about who you know. I'd be totally lost. You're very brave, and something is bound to come up that works for you :)

      --Erin

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)